|Product Use : EpiPen provides on the spot treatment for Anaphylactic Shock |
|Classification : ||OTC Pharmacy Medicine|
(No Prescription Required)
|Manufacturer Name : DEY LP
Also see: EpiPen Jr 0.15mg
Although this product is available over-the-counter here in New Zealand, unfortunately the terms and conditions of our Visa/Mastercard facility currently prohibit us from accepting international credit card orders for this product as it is classified as requiring a prescription in some jurisdictions. We are working on implementing some alternative payment methods so please check back soon, or in the meatime, for more details, you are welcome to contact us
Information - EpiPen
Adrenaline is a naturally-occurring chemical that is released in response to stress. It binds to alpha and beta adrenergic receptors, which are found all over the body, especially on the heart, lungs and blood vessels. When beta receptors are activated, they cause the heart to beat faster and more strongly, and increase the width of the airways in the lungs. There is also has a stimulating effect on the brain. When adrenaline binds to alpha receptors this causes narrowing of blood vessels, which increases blood pressure. All of these actions prepare the body to cope with a stressful situation. Adrenaline is the first line of treatment in life-threatening allergic reactions (anaphylaxis). In this situation the airways may narrow making it more difficult to breathe. One of the most important effects of adrenaline is to open up the airways to ease breathing. A second important effect is the narrowing of blood vessels which prevents or reverses falls in blood pressure. Adrenaline is also responsible for relieving itching, redness and swelling associated with anaphylactic reactions. As anaphylactic reactions (life-threatening allergic reactions) can develop within minutes of exposure to the trigger factor (which could be a bite or sting, food e.g. peanuts, drug or other substance) individuals who are at risk are sometimes advised to carry an automatic injection device. This can be used to give a dose of adrenaline immediately.
Carefully read the product instructions so that you are prepared prior to an emergency situation. The needle is not visible in the EpiPen before use. To administer a dose, make a fist around the auto-injector and place the black end of the EpiPen on the upper outer thigh, at a 90° angle, perpendicular to the leg. Remove the grey safety cap from the end of the auto-injector. Now jab the EpiPen firmly into the thigh, activating the auto-injector mechanism. You will hear a click and feel a pinprick as the needle enters, delivering adrenaline into the muscle. Hold the device in position for several seconds before withdrawing it from the thigh. Dispose of the auto-injector carefully, ensuring that you do not to touch the needle now it is exposed. Massage the injection area for about 10 seconds.
EpiPen is available in two strengths: EpiPen - for children and adults weighing more than 30kg and EpiPen Junior - for children weighing between 15-30kg.
Active Ingredient: EpiPen = Adrenaline 0.3mg and EpiPen Junior = Adrenaline 0.15mg.
Inactive Ingredients: Sodium Chloride 1.8mg, Sodium Metabisulfite, Hydrochloric Acid to adjust pH, water.
- EpiPen is intended to be used in emergency situations so any warnings or cautions are considered relative.
- EpiPen is for intramuscular use only. Do not inject intravenously as this may result in cerebral haemorrhage caused by the sharp rise in blood pressure.
- EpiPen should be used with caution if you have high blood pressure (hypertension), thyroid problems, or narrow-angle glaucoma (high blood pressure in the eye).
- Caution is also required when EpiPen is used by someone with diabetes, heart disease, brain damage or is under general anaesthetic.
- EpiPen contains no latex.
- Consult with your doctor or pharmacist if you have had an allergic reaction to sodium metabisulfite or any other ingredient of EpiPen.
- Possible temporary side effects of this medication may include dizziness, weakness, headache, tremor, nausea, restlessness and sleeplessness.
- Keep EpiPen in a cool, dry place. Do not refrigerate. Store below 25°C/75°F. Protect from direct sunlight. Do not use EpiPen if the solution turns brown or turns cloudy.